Co-Founder and Shareholder
Recognized as a Rising Star by Southern California Super Lawyers every year since 2013, Benjamin Smith, the co-founder of Smith & Benowitz, is engaged in the practice of personal injury, employment, class actions and other tort litigation.
- Assisted trial counsel in a well-publicized trial obtaining a judgment in excess of $100 million involving breach of fiduciary duty in a commercial/probate case through appeal to the California Supreme Court.
- Successful representation of owner of famous trademark “Honey Badger Don’t Care” in trademark infringement actions throughout country, achieving significant settlements for the client.
- Assisted trial counsel in obtaining a jury verdict in excess of $65 million involving a dispute concerning a partnership agreement for the acquisition, management and financing of a real estate business.
- Assisted trial counsel in obtaining a jury verdict for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract in excess of $9 million involving a medical practice partnership.
- Lead counsel in obtaining settlement of $418,000 for clients involved in a dog attack.
- Co-trial counsel in obtaining a $200,000 judgment after trial for breach of contract against a luxury automobile dealership involving a celebrity-owned exotic automobile, including $138,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Co-trial counsel in a case against a security company for misappropriation of a rare diamond in which judgment was obtained after trial in the sum of $130,000.
- Represented a seller of a business in action against buyer who refused to pay a substantial portion of the purchase price. On the eve of trial, the case settled with the client obtaining a several hundred thousand dollar stipulated judgment.
- Defended real estate property manager against multi-million dollar claim of mismanagement. Was able to resolve the claim for cents on the dollar.
- Represented client who improperly had a judgment entered against him. By applying pressure to Plaintiff and third party national bank, obtained a satisfaction of judgment and a reimbursement of all the attorneys’ fees and costs paid by the client.
- Lead counsel in obtaining settlement of $70,000 for clients involved in a dog attack.
- Lead trial counsel achieving a complete defense of all claims against a prominent real estate broker in a five-week trial for fraud and breach of contract.
- Successfully obtained the identities of anonymous authors of harmful internet statements on the internet. Thereafter, initiated litigation against said authors, successfully removed the website from the internet containing false and damaging information about our client and defeated a hotly contested anti-slapp motion.
- Personal Injury
- Class Action
- Loyola Law School, CA
- University of Southern California, CA
Bachelor of Art Degree
- The State Bar of California
- The State Bar of New York
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Associations and Membership
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Southern California Super Lawyers: Rising Star, 2013-2018